Wednesday 17 April 2013

Will you be the Change? A reflection on the autrocities in this world

I am writing this blog for two reasons: one is to record a piece of terrible history and reflect on the way it has impacted me and to hopefully inspire my students (or anyone reading this) to continue doing what they are doing (which is amazing things).

A couple of days ago there was a bombing in Boston; an act of Terror.  It was a sad and senseless act, one that whoever did it should be ashamed of themselves.  My heart and my prayers are with the families of those who are injured and those who have lost someone because of this event.  I am saddened by the fact that humanity can be so cruel and senseless.  This world would be a far better place if we can all just make peace with each other and check our egos and pride at the door.

 When I hear news like this and see the awful atrocities in our world I worry about the next generation who will occupy this place.  What type of world our we bringing our children, and students into.  This world can often be a scary place for our students.  It's filled with hate, crime, war and senseless violence. 
In my classroom, these discussion are never turned away.  I try to teach through a social justice lens and often will have discussions about many of these devastating events and topics.  It is because of these discussions that I am constantly reassured (every year) that we (human kind) will be okay.   I am reassured and amazed by my students tenacity, love for humanity and open hearts.  If we could all have the compassion that grade four and fives can show than we would be a better place.

 So to end this reflection, I ask you "will you be the change you want to see in this world?"

No comments:

Post a Comment